Sunday, July 19, 2009

Busy Sunday

I was pretty busy today, but something significant did happen.

We went to my sister-in-law's house today. On the way there, an SUV passed us. He was one of those jack asses that weaves in out of various lines risking people's lives just so he can be ahead of one more car before he gets to the red light.

My wife was driving, and a few miles down the road, she stopped at a red light. I was reading a book and suddenly heard the sound of crunching metal, heard my wife say, "They ran the red light!", and then I saw this SUV flip onto its roof.

I got out of the car and ran to the SUV. and my wife got our car off the road. By this time, about 10-15 other people had gotten out of their cars too. We all realize that the woman in the passenger side of the SUV is bleeding, but she is also screaming, "My babies, my babies! Get my babies!" It was then that we realized there were two children in the back seat, each in a car seat. Someone opened the back window of the SUV, and we started yanking stuff out. An infant bouncer, a small bicycle, the speaker box, and other junk. Someone got into the SUV and got the youngest one out of the car. By this time, someone had helped the driver and the passenger out of the front seat. Eventually they got the other car seat out of the SUV.

The car that hit the SUV was parked close by. The front end was completely smashed, and the airbags had all gone off. The driver of that car was actually helping us with the people in the SUV. Two nurses happened to be among those of us that were helping, so anyone that was injured received immediate attention. Luckily, everyone seemed to have been wearing their seat belts as far as I could tell. No one was unconscious, and I only saw one person bleeding from some cuts on their arms.

It's things like this that make me wonder why people drive like that. Why do they need to risk their own life, those lives in the care with them, and/or the lives in the cars around them just to make that turn, or get in a different lane, or to pass one more person before they exit the freeway?

I am happy that everyone was alive when I left, but I'm angry that someone can be so reckless with their wife and two children in the car. They ran a read light and got T-Boned; for what? I don't think there is a satisfactory answer to that question. Ever.

-A.W.C.


Stumble Upon Toolbar
Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. All comments are moderated. As long as people are civil, (in my opinion) all comments will post. Only in extreme cases would a post be declined.