Wednesday, December 14, 2011

And now my first response....

Senator Hutchison's Response to my call to support Senator Sanders proposed amendment to reverse Citizens United ruling (She doesn't agree.):


Dear Friend:
Thank you for contacting me regarding campaign finance reform. I welcome your thoughts and comments.

I believe the recent ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court in Citizens United v. the Federal Election Commission took a step in the right direction by scaling back the limits on speech imposed upon Americans by the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform Act. I voted against McCain-Feingold because it unduly regulates and limits our First Amendment rights by limiting political speech. I believe that curtailing speech is not the answer to reforming campaign finance.

The Supreme Court ruling protects the freedom of speech for all American citizens. Acting as guardian and interpreter of the Constitution, the Court is charged with ensuring the promise of equal justice under the law to all Americans. Justice Anthony Kennedy concluded that in the opinion of the court “under our law and our tradition it seems stranger than fiction for our Government to make political speech a crime.”

On July 21, 2010, Senator Charles Schumer (D-NY) introduced S. 3628, the "Democracy is Strengthened by Casting Light on Spending in Elections (DISCLOSE) Act". The legislation proposes a combination of disclosure and disclaimer provisions designed to provide additional information to regulators and the public about political advertising that could emerge following Citizens United. While proponents claim the bill applies equally to corporations and unions, the bill exempts unions from restrictions that would limit their campaign activity.

On July 27th, 2010, I voted against the measure because it does not treat all United States citizens, corporations and organizations alike when it comes to transparency and accountability. I also rejected it because of the far-reaching regulations it would place on our constitutionally protected speech. On September 23rd, the Senate again took a vote on this act, defeating it once again by a vote of 59-39.

I am committed to maintaining the fundamental fairness and integrity of our political system without infringing upon the constitutional rights of all Americans to participate in our political process. Should any similar legislation come before the Senate, you may be certain that I will keep your views in mind.

I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue that is important to you.

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison
United States Senator


Stumble Upon Toolbar
Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment. All comments are moderated. As long as people are civil, (in my opinion) all comments will post. Only in extreme cases would a post be declined.